- It is what it's billed as: a wonderful and wacky event.
- The Mermaid Parade, founded in 1983, claims to be the nation's oldest "art parade."
- The Mermaid Parade has grown into of the ten biggest annual parades in the Big Apple.
- It's scruffy, funky, often very hot, occasionally fairly naked, and all body types participate.
- The antique cars are outstanding. The floats are fab. But ah, it's the homemade sea monster, Neptune, and mermaid costumes that you'll dream about at night.
- At its best, it's unforgettable, outrageous, hilarious, creatively impressive. At its worst, it's grubby, crowded and hot.
- Want to make a day of it? Get tickets to the after party, the Mermaid Parade Ball.
In short, if you've never been, you gotta go. Coney Island's Mermaid Parade is a NYC must see event for tourists and locals. Find out more about the Mermaid Parade.
AND...OF NOTE DURING THE WEEK
Don't miss the fabulous FREE jazz concert series at Herbert Von King Park in Bed Stuy this week!. This series, produced by Summer Stage, includes:
- Thursday, June 16 @ 7 p.m.: JON B / OLIVIA Presented in Association with Globe Star Media and WBLS.
- Friday, June 17 @ 8: INDOMITABLE: JAMES BROWN" FEATURING BURNT SUGAR THE ARKESTRA CHAMBER / BRANDON VICTOR DIXON
Address: Greene, Marcy, Lafayette, Tompkins Avenues, Bed-Stuy. Map
- Thursday, June 16: BAM's 10 day independent BamcinemaFest. They're showing dozens of new works from film festivals around the world.