Mad about growing poverty in NYC? Exercise your inner activist. This Saturday you can join thousands who'll be walking across the Brooklyn Bridge in a United Way campaign to raise awareness of the need to"bridge" gaps in education, income and health for low-income New Yorkers. Join up in Foley Square, cross the Brooklyn Bridge and wrap up in Cadman Plaza Park in Downtown Brooklyn with a brief mid-day festival for the entire family. You can also meet some major city officials, if you want to sound off in person. Free.
9:45: Arrive Foley Square
10: AM: Walk the Brooklyn Bridge
11 A.M- 1 PM: Entertainment at Cadman Plaza (free)
2 Hours of Entertainment:
- Music: Brown Rice Family, who won WNYC's 2012 Battle of the Boroughs talent contest, and Brooklyn-based indie band The Scarlet Ending
- Brooklyn Nets "Snap Court" where you can test your basketball skills.
- WWE Superstar Mark Henry, Middleweight Contender Danny Jacobs
- Brooklynettes dance team will sign autographs.
- Food trucks
People You Might Want to Meet:
- HGTV's Genevieve Gorder
- WWE Superstar Mark Henry
- Middleweight Contender Danny Jones
- Kitchen Cousins co-hosts John Colaneri and Anthony Carrino
- Seth Diamond, NYC Commissioner of Homeless Services
- Dennis Walcott, Chancellor of NYC Dept. of Education, among others.