If you live in Brooklyn in Flood Zone A, on the coast, you must evacuate now because of Hurricane Sandy. The evacuation zone includes some whole neighborhoods (Manhattan Beach) and bits and pieces of other 'hoods (DUMBO).
FLOOD ZONE A AREAS IN BROOKLYN INCLUDE 10 NEIGHBORHOODS: The following lists evacuation locations; to see if your home, or that of a loved one, is in a Flood Zone A, then use the link at the bottom of this page.
- DUMBO from Old Fulton Street and Water Street to Water and Washington Street; all of Plymouth to Bridge Street, then Plymouth St. to Bridge St. See map (below)
- Manhattan Beach
- Coney Island and SeaGate
- Sheepshead Bay: East 22nd to East 2nd up to Avenue X. (Check your specific address on the NYC site below)
- Red Hook (By noon on Monday, some areas already flooding)
- Gowanus: 14th Street to 7th Street, from 2nd Ave to Smith Street, 7th Street to Carroll Street between 3rd Ave and Bond St., Carroll St. to Butler between Nevins and Bond Streets. (By noon on Monday, some areas already flooding)
- Greenwood Heights and Sunset Park from 19th Street to 38th Street from 3rd Avenue to the water.
- Williamsburg on the waterfront up to Kent Avenue is in Zone A.
- Greenpoint: Along Gem, Banker and Dobbin Streets up to Wythe; Norman to Calyer St.west of Dobbin; east of McGuinness from Calyer St. to Newtown Creek.
- Brooklyn Navy Yard from Navy Street to Kent Avenue
- Parts of Belt Parkway