Check out these family friendly events in Brooklyn this weekend! Choose among several theater events, a festival at the Brooklyn Botanic Garden and even a few events in hip Williamsburg, geared for kids.
$$$ Notes: All of the listings below cost money, with tickets from a few bucks to $100 (Barclays). For cheap fun, check your local Brooklyn public library branch for child friendly readings, always a free and educational way to spend a few hours.
- Disney on Ice: 'Treasure Trove' tonight through Sunday. Tips on Taking Kids to Barclays.
Brooklyn Botanic Garden:
- Weekend Festival at Brooklyn Botanic Garden, called "Illuminated: A Winter Festival" . Bring the kids for the BBG's usual inventive programs. Saturday, enjoy family friendly art, with an evening walk through a section of the Garden that is both illuminated and populated by surprise visits from friendly puppets and cool, impossibly tall stilt walkers. On Sunday, kids can play in a DIY clubhouse, do crafts and more.
- Brooklyn Children's Museum: MLK "Justice Everywhere"- On Saturday at 2:30, an exploration of justice through the lens of Dr. Kings words and legacy. For kids 4 and up. On Sunday, the deliciously named Light it up--Wobble Detector that explores electricity and light bulbs.
- BAM has a dynamite production of Alice and Wonderland.
- Brooklyn College Theater Production of 'The Little Prince' - Sponsored by Target, Brooklyn Colleges Brooklyn Center for the Performing Arts' Storybook Series produces this children's favorite with big puppets, multi media and other whiz-bang fun.
- That venerable Park Slope institution, the Gallery Players, turns over the stage to an improv group TheaterSports for a rollicking, fun show at noon on Sunday. Kids can toss out suggestions to the actors, vote on the best skit. (Adults might be intereseted in the rather more serious play, Parade.)
- Brooklyn Bowl is putting on a show with a self-explanatory name: Kidrockers. For hipster kids, Sunday afternoon.
- Nitehawk Cinema: Known for its midnight flicks for adults, Nighthawk also has noontime movies for little kids...and best of all, food is allowed!