With tax time coming up in about 8 weeks, Park Slope accountant Christa Scoupy, CPA, of Auxilia Accounting, offers some free advice. She recommends:
1. Get organized. "A lack of organization and transparency can lead to lack of clarity regarding your financial situation," for individuals as well as small businesses. This, she says, can "lead to years of not filing taxes and piles of unanswered tax notices."
2. Avoid common errors. Ms. Skoupy flagged:
* wrong deductions for home office
* unreimbursed employee expenses
* overstated business deductions
* missing income information.