Free, At-a-Glance Holiday Guide to Walking Across the Brooklyn Bridge in DecemberMake the Brooklyn Bridge part of your holiday plans this December in New York City.
Whether you're a local Brooklyn resident, or a visitor from Australia, a hike across the Brooklyn Bridge can make for an exhilarating outing in the holiday season.
Here's a quick guide to average temperatures, where to get a hot chocolate or snack after walking the bridge, and special seasonal things you can see while you're on the pedestrian pathway. Use it, and pass it along — and happy holidays!
How Cold is the Weather on the Brooklyn Bridge in December?There's no accounting for the weather. One year, the winter in NYC is mild, and the next is brutal. That said, here are the averages:
- Average: 37 degrees Farenheit (3 degrees C)
- Average High: 43 degrees Farenheit (6 degrees C)
- Average Low: 32 degrees Farenheit (6 degrees C)
- Snow: Sometimes there's snow in December; on average about two and a half inches for the month. It can be beautiful walking over the Brooklyn Bridge, crunching through fresh snow — but also slippery. Try to avoid a day that's both cold and windy.
See the Sunrise or Sunset
- December Sunrise: 7 to 7:20 A.M. (Sunrise gets later as the month advances)
- December Sunset: 4:30 P.M
3 Great Reasons to Walk the Brooklyn Bridge in December
- If you walk the Brooklyn Bridge at dusk or at night, you can see the lights of the Empire State Building. They'll be white and blue on Chanukah, red on World AIDS Day (December 1), and red and green for Christmas.
- It's a great way to work off some calories from holiday excess.
- If you're entertaining visitors for the holidays, they'll never forget a walk over the Brooklyn Bridge!
- Walk the Brooklyn Bridge on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day
Walk the Brooklyn Bridge on New Year's Eve
Tips on Walking Across the Brooklyn Bridge
- Basics of Walking the Bridge
- 10 Do's and Don'ts of Walking the Brooklyn Bridge
- How Long is the Brooklyn Bridge?
5 Special December Days, Perfect for a Walk Across the BridgeSpecial December holidays when you might want to take a walk over the Brooklyn Bridge, weather permitting:
- Winter Solstice (December 22)
- Christmas Eve, Christmas Day
- New Year's Eve — (See Walking Over the Brooklyn Bridge on New Year's Eve: FAQ )
December ViewsWhat to Look For When Walking From Brooklyn to Manhattan
- Empire State Building holiday season lights
- Chrysler Building
- South Street Seaport holiday lights
- Statue of Liberty
- Jane's Carousel and holiday decorations
- Brooklyn Bridge Park
What to Look For When Walking From Manhattan to Brooklyn
What to Wear
- Dress in layers, and dress warmly! There can be a stiff breeze on the bridge.
- Sturdy shoes, warm gloves, a scarf, hat, and coat are recommended.
Where to Fuel Up with Food and SnacksChilly after a brisk walk across the Brooklyn Bridge?
- Hot Chocolate: Jacques Torres
- Soup and croissant: Almondine
- Brunch? Try one of the Top 10 DUMBO brunch spots
- Pizza: In December 2011, Grimaldi's is moving. Check to see if they're open before going. Expect lines if they're open. Or, try Iganzio's at 4 Front Street.
- Expensive & elegant: Reserve in advance (and men, wear a jacket) at River Cafe.
- Public bathrooms
- Starbucks, 67 Front Street, DUMBO