And what better outing to celebrate US naval history and learn about the issues involved than to visit the unique, historic, and revitalized Brooklyn Navy Yard?
Tip: If at all possible, try to book ahead for the bus tour of the Brooklyn Navy Yard. The area is vast, and some of the historic buildings and structures are beyond belief. Visitors cannot wander at random; to see it all, one has to join an escorted tour. Obviously, seats are limited.
Another Tip: Don't get confused by the term "BLDG 92". It's Brooklyn Navy Yard lingo for the building that now houses their spiffy, new Visitors Center. But just the fact that it is numbered ninety-two gives some idea of the vast size of this once-essential shipbuilding facility. (
The following schedule offers events for adults and families as well. There will be free music, free games, free exhibits, and more.
Exhibits and Free Family Events for Fleet Week Saturday (During Memorial Weekend)FREE ADMISSION to exhibitions.
- See the permanent exhibition, "Brooklyn Navy Yard: Past, Present & Future"
- Attend the opening of the War of 1812 traveling exhibit of the National Museum of the US Navy
- BLDG 92 unveils the gun of the USS Adams , dating to 1798
- Family Friendly Food and Fun in the Forecourt with locally sourced food and bluegrass tunes in the sun, Grand Opening of Construction Kids at BLDG 92, with hands-on demos, and a
- Sustainability Scavenger Hunt Race.
More Special Events for Fleet Week Saturday (During Memorial Weekend)
- 1:00 – 2 P.M. “Yard Inspectors” Tour: Guides take visitors on a Yard-wide adventure. Follow clues throughout to uncover the Yard's hidden treasures. Perfect for children ages 6 to 14. Limited capacity, special Memorial Day weekend prices: $18/adult, $9/children.
- 2:30 – 4:30 P.M. Brooklyn Navy Yard Bus Tour: Take the tour that New York Magazine voted BEST TOUR in New York, 2012. $30/person, 10% member discount.
- 3:00 – 3:45 P.M. Factory Tour and Blacksmith Demo: Celebrate the history and future of craftsmanship on a behind-the-scenes Tour of Ferra Design studios and a blacksmithing demonstration. Sign-up at the front desk-space is limited. Free.