1. Travel
You can opt-out at any time. Please refer to our privacy policy for contact information.

Discuss in my forum

How to Late-Register a Child in Brooklyn Public School—Registration Center Info

Where to Find a Registration Center, Who Should Register, How It Works


The New York City Department of Education is the largest system of public schools in the United States, serving about 1.1 million students in over 1,700 schools. It's HUGE. It's complicated too. So if you have just moved to New York, or to Brooklyn, or aren't sure how to proceed and it's already August or September, read on.

Department of Education Registration Centers in Brooklyn

Annual Registration Effort for New or Re-entering Students Runs One Week Past Start of School/em>

Not yet sure where your child is going to public school? Head toward one of three New York City Department of Education Student Registration Centers in Brooklyn to enroll new students for the start of school.

Three DOE Public School Registration Centers in Brooklyn

  • Brooklyn Technical High School, 29 Fort Greene Place (enter on South Elliott Place) in Fort Greene.
  • Clara Barton High School, 901 Classon Avenue in Crown Heights near the Brooklyn Botanic Garden.
  • Franklin Delano Roosevelt High School, 5800 20th Avenue in Bensonhurst.

Who Can Register for Public School at these Brooklyn Registration Centers:

  • High School: All new high school students or those re-entering the system after an absence—both general education and students with disabilities—who live in Brooklyn should register at a Student Registration Center Brooklyn (not another borough).
  • Elementary and Middle School: New or re-entering general education elementary and middle school students who live in Brooklyn and are without a zoned school should also register at a Student Registration Center in Brooklyn.

New elementary and middle school students who have zoned schools should register at their zoned schools starting the first day of school in September. (When is the first day of public school?).

Is Your Child in a Zoned School?

  • Parents can find their children’s zoned schools, the nearest Student Registration Centers, or Committee on Special Education locations by calling 311 or visiting the Department’s Web site at nyc.gov/schools.

What Happens at the Student Registration Center?

  • Enrollment staff at Student Registration Centers will meet with students and their parents to facilitate registration.
  • Interpretation services will be available at each center.
  • MultiLingual materials: All forms and parent materials will be available in English and translated into nine languages (Arabic, Bengali, Chinese, French, Haitian Creole, Korean, Russian, Spanish, and Urdu).

Where to Get Help about Schools: High School, Middle School, Elementary School

When are the Student Registration Centers Open?

  • Student Registration Centers are open from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m.

Bring Your Child to Register, and Also Documents

Parents must bring their children with them to register. In addition, the following documents are required:

  • Proof of residence. Parents must bring any two of the following documents:
    • A residential utility bill (gas or electric) in the resident's name and dated within the last 60 days;
    • Documentation or letter on letterhead from a federal, state, or local government agency indicating the resident's name and address and dated within the last 60 days;
    • An original lease agreement, deed, or mortgage statement for the residence;
    • A current property tax bill for the residence;
    • A water bill for the residence dated within the last 60 days;
    • Official payroll documentation from an employer dated within the last 60 days, such as a form submitted for tax withholding purposes or payroll receipt (a letter on the employer's letterhead will not be accepted
  • Child’s birth certificate or passport;
  • Child’s immunization records;
  • Child's latest report card/transcript (if available);
  • Child’s Individualized Education Program (IEP) and/or 504 Accommodation Plan (if applicable and available).

Special Ed

Parents of K-12 students who previously received special education services and do not currently have a New York City Individualized Education Program (IEP) should visit a Student Registration Center or a Committee on Special Education (CSE) location.

Need More Info? See http://schools.nyc.gov, the website for the NYC Department of Education.


(The information above was obtained from a NYC DOE press release, August 2012.)

  1. About.com
  2. Travel
  3. Brooklyn, NY
  4. Education and Jobs
  5. Public Schools K-12 in Brooklyn
  6. How to Late-Register Your Child for Public School in Brooklyn: Registration Centers and Info

©2014 About.com. All rights reserved.