Many people who walk across the Brooklyn Bridge would like to see a Brooklyn neighborhood. And the nearest neighborhood to the Brooklyn Bridge is the unique little corner of Brooklyn with the charming name of DUMBO.
DUMBO has an appealing mixture of elements: historical district, cultural destinations, waterfront, spectacular views of the Manhattan and Brooklyn Bridges, not to mention the Manhattan skyline and NY Harbor, and fabulous Brooklyn Bridge Park.
If you're walking across the Brooklyn Bridge, how do you then walk to DUMBO?
FASTEST ROUTE: How to Walk from the Brooklyn Bridge Pedestrian Path to DUMBO & Brooklyn Bridge ParkIt's a five minute walk to DUMBO from the first exit off the Brooklyn Bridge pedestrian walkway:
1. Take the first exit off the Brooklyn Bridge pedestrian walkway. Note: There are two pedestrian exits when walking across the Brooklyn Bridge from Manhattan to Brooklyn. The first exit is the most direct route to DUMBO.
2. Take the path off the pedestrian walkway that bears to the left and slightly downhill as you face Brooklyn.
3. Follow the path to a small stairway . Go down the stairs to an underpass on Washington Street. The Washington Street underpass is about two blocks from Front Street in the heart of DUMBO.
4. Turn left and head down hill, toward the East River and Manhattan skyline. When you cross under the highway overhead, you will see the industrial buildings, shops and restaurants of DUMBO.
Travelers Tip : There's a nice map of attractions by the Washington Street underpass stairway.
ALTERNATE, SLOWER ROUTE from the Brooklyn Bridge Path to DUMBO & Brooklyn Bridge ParkIf you miss the first exit off the Brooklyn Bridge pedestrian walkway and end up on Tillary Street, it's not a disaster — but you will end up walking about another half mile or .8 kilometres to get to DUMBO.
When the Brooklyn Bridge pedestrian walkway ends, it intersects with Tillary Street, a busy intersection:
1. Turn right on Tillary Street and head toward Cadman Plaza West.
2. Follow Cadman Plaza West until it becomes Old Fulton Street.
3. Walk downhill toward the water. You will see Grimaldi's pizzeria, the floating concert hall Barge Music, and the skyline of Manhattan. On the left is the entrance to Brooklyn Bridge Park. On the right, under the Brooklyn Bridge, is the beginning of DUMBO.
And, for general information: A Visitors Guide to Brooklyn, NY