As always, this year's Fleet Week is centered in Manhattan and NY Harbor. But in 2014, ancillary Fleet Week events that have in the past taken place in Brooklyn have been moved to Staten Island and suburban communities.
If you are along the south Brooklyn waterfront, you can still glimpse the boats sailing in on Wednesday, May 21st as they enter NY Harbor. But this year, unlike the last time we had Fleet Week back 2012 (it was cancelled last year due to budget cuts), there are no aerial events in Coney Island, no Navy divers in the NY Aquarium, and no boarding of ships off Brooklyn Bridge Park. Bummer! Still, the ships--not to mention the discussions they might engender with both adults and children--are interesting to see, fun to go on board, and comprise a truly American moment.
Time: 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. Lines may be capped at 3 p.m.
- Ship tours will be held during the week at Pier 92 in Manhattan and The Sullivans Pier in Staten Island. Tours will be conducted daily.
- USO Bike Build. 10 a.m. - 2 p.m. Pier 92, Manhattan, New York Bikes will be assembled and given to service members participating in Fleet Week New York for their children.
- Playing Hoops With Heroes. 4 p.m. - 9 p.m. John Jay College, Manhattan.USO will host a basketball tournament for participating units of Fleet Week and teams from New York City Police Department (NYPD), Fire Department City of New York (FDNY) and Port Authority Police Department (PAPD).
- Village of Larchmont Memorial Day Parade. 7 p.m. - 10 p.m. Parade route will run from Chatsworth Ave. to Palmer Ave. to Larchmont Ave. ending at Village Hall for the Memorial Day Ceremony. Navy Band Northeast "Marching Band" will perform.
- New York Mets at Citi Field.7:10 p.m. - 10 p.m.. Mets wtake on the Los Angeles Dodgers. A service member from the U.S. Marine Corps will participate in the New York Mets "Veteran of the Game" program.
- U.S. Navy Aerial Demonstration. 10 a.m. – noon. Westbury High School, Old Westbury, NY.
- Aerial demonstration.Westbury High School in Old Westbury, NY with music by Navy Band Northeast "Rhode Island Sound
- U.S. Marine Corps Aerial Demonstration. 1 p.m. - 2:30 p.m. at Glen Cove High School, Glen Cove, NY.
You can't get much more naval than the Brooklyn Navy Yard (unless you're a certain kind of orange, maybe...)
Take a tour, or enjoy a theatrical production at the Brooklyn Navy Yard this year.