Glenn Robinson, an arts and crafts educator and environmentalist, who is a creative partner in Spacecraft, a Williamsburg crafts studio and store, suggests how to make a simple Brooklyn Botanic Garden costume:
- Get a full leotard or wear top and bottom sweats (green would be a good color)
- Buy a lot of cheap plastic flowers (look at thrift shops, Salvation Army stores, dollar stores)
- Attach the flowers to the sweats by hand sewing them.
- Decorate an old straw hat with a wide brim with plastic flowers or dripping ivy.
For a sign, simply write "Brooklyn Botanic Garden" — or, more subtly, "BBG" — on a bag, broad ribbon sash or a large, flower-filled umbrella.
4 More Ideas for Sophisticated Costume MakersOther costumes with a Brooklyn flair that are related to the Brooklyn Botanic Gardens:
- Daffodil Hill at the Brooklyn Botanic Garden costume.
- Sakura Matsuri the famous Brooklyn Botanic Garden Cherry Blossom Festivalin the form of a beautiful (and very pink) flowering cherry tree costume.
- The Chili Pepper Fiesta at the Brooklyn Botanic Garden.
- The famous Chinese red arch at the entrance to the Japanese Garden.
- Other Ideas, including Where to Shop Costume Swaps & More