About the Post Hurricane Sandy Brooklyn Recovery Fund
Additional individual donors online and via mobile (text BROOKLYN to 25383 to donate $10)
- Founded: Just days after Hurricane Sandy hit, November 1, 2012.
- Started by the Brooklyn Community Foundation in partnership with the Office of the Brooklyn Borough President and the Brooklyn Chamber of Commerce.
- Initial funding: Brooklyn Community Foundation, Forest City Ratner, Barclays Center and Brooklyn Nets.
- Initial fund: $1 million plus.
- Website: http://www.brooklyncommunityfoundation.org/
Notable Early Contributions:
- Jerry Seinfeld designated the Brooklyn Recovery Fund as one of the charities to benefit from his three upcoming NYC area shows 2012
- Junior's Restaurant are donating $5 from the sale of each pumpkin cheesecake sold at all 3 NYC locations through November 2012
- Stand Up NY - "Stand Up to Sandy" benefit November 11th 2012 with Sherri Shepherd and Caroline Rhea. Info at http://www.standuptosandy.org/.
- Walmart has donated $25,000 (sorry, lots of Brooklynites still don't want Walmart here)
- Bell House Comedy benefit scheduled for 11/25 featuring Eugene Mirman, Mike Birbiglia, Wyatt Cenac and Jon Glaser
- Brooklyn Magazine / L Magazine providing in-kind advertising and promotion
- Brooklyn Flea and Smorgasburg collecting donations at their markets through the winter 2012-13
- Edible Brooklyn "How to Holiday" event to benefit fund
- Ariel Property Advisors aiming to raise $10,000 in partnership with the Brooklyn Chamber
- Fort Greene's Greenlight Bookstore has donated $2000
- Rolling Orange Bikes is donating $5 from each bike rental for a period of time
- Lifebooker gave 100% of their profits from November 5 - 7, 2012