Libraries aren't just for books, they're all about people, too. In response to the relief and recovery needs of so many Brooklyn residents, the Brooklyn Public Library network of local libraries is now collecting goods for the Hurricane Sandy relief effort. The library is working in conjunction with New York State Committee Woman/District Leader Rodneyse Bichotte and the Transit Forward Coalition.
Things Needed for Hurricane ReliefPlease note that the needs of relief recipients can change. For instance, they may get enough blankets, but need pillows. So please check the BPL disaster relief website for the most up-to-date list.
- Bottled Water
- Non-Perishable Foods (baby formula, canned foods)
- Batteries of all sizes
- New blankets (comforters/sleeping bags)
- New towels and wash cloths
- New unopened packages of socks, thermals & underwear
- Hygiene Products (baby wipes, diapers, & sanitary napkins)
- Toiletries (deodorant, disposable wipes, razors, shaving cream soap, toothbrushes, toothpaste, lotion, antibacterial hand sanitizer)
- Contractor garbage bags & heavy-duty extension cords
- Cleaning supplies (mops, brooms, wipes, sprays, gloves)
Brooklyn Libraries Where You Can Drop Off Goods for Hurricane Relief
- Central Library
- Arlington Library
- Bay Ridge Library
- Borough Park Library
- Brooklyn Heights Library
- Carroll Gardens Library
- DeKalb Library
- Eastern Parkway Library
- Flatbush Library
- Flatlands Library
- Kings Highway Library
- Leonard Library
- Macon Library
- New Lots Library
- New Utrecht Library
- Park Slope Library
NY Cares Coat Drive Opens November 8
In addition, the annual NY Cares Coat Drive is open. Coats for donation can be dropped off at any branch of the Brooklyn Public Library. Do not leave bags of clothes at the door, please, if the library is closed.
Note: All Brooklyn Public Library locations will be closed on Sunday, Nov. 11th and Monday, Nov. 12th 2012 for Veterans Day.