The entire expanse of Gateway stretches over 26,000 acres of coastline, marsh, and parks that include Floyd Bennett Field in Brooklyn, Jamaica Bay Wildlife Refuge in Long Island, Breezy Point in Queens, and Sandy Hook in New Jersey.
Go on an adventure stargazing or bird-watching, or take a self-guided nature walk.
You can bike, fish, kayak, go to the beach, camp overnight and explore Civil War-era forts and historic aircraft. You can get information at the Ryan Visitor Center, Floyd Bennett Field, or at the Canarsie Pier Station (Belt Parkway Exit 13, 763-2202).
What's in Jamaica Bay?Straddling both Brooklyn and Queens, the National Park Service area known as Jamaica Bay is home to ocean beaches, restored grasslands, aircraft hangars, sports fields, marinas and historic fortifications. Highlights include:
- Floyd Bennett Field (in Brooklyn),(Get directions)
- Plumb Beach (in Brooklyn)
- Canarsie Pier (in Brooklyn)
- Jacob Riis Park (in Queens)
- Frank Charles Park (in Queens)
- Fort Tilden (in Queens)
- Breezy Point (in Queens)
- Jamaica Bay Wildlife Refuge Visitors Center(in Queens)