1. Do Archery (Year - round)
- Call 718-338-3799 for archery permits for Floyd Bennett Field.
2. Go to the Beach (Summer) at:
- Jacob Riis Park Rockaway, Queens. Food concessions are open daily from Memorial Day weekend to Labor Day.
- Caution! Rip currents are powerful currents of water flowing away from shore.
3. Bike (Year - round) at:
- Bike historic runways of Floyd Bennett Field, in Brooklyn
- trails at Fort Tilden in Queens
- Ride the Rockaway Gateway Greenway, a paved multi-use pathway adjacent to Floyd Bennett Field and Jamaica Bay Wildlife Refuge
4. Go Birding & Do Nature Study (Year - round) at:
- Jamaica Bay Wildlife Refuge
- Fort Tilden
- North Forty area of Floyd Bennett Field.
5. Boat and Sail
- Park programs for small boat sailing, canoeing and kayaking are offered in spring, summer and autumn. Call (718)338-3799 or email for reservations.
- Hand - launched boating permits for privately owned small, hand launched boats (canoes, kayaks, and rowboats) are sold for $50 at the Floyd Bennett Field Ranger Station, and are valid for the calendar year in which they are purchased. For information on launch sites, call 718-338-3799.
- During summer, basic sailboat instruction is offered by the park. Call 718-338-3799.
- For larger boats Gateway Marina, located on Flatbush Avenue across from Floyd Bennett Field, offers slips and a full range of boating services. Call 718-252-8761.
- Note: In order to protect wildlife and sensitive marsh habitat, entry into salt marshes or onto any islands in Jamaica Bay is not permitted.
6. Go Cross Country Skiing (when there's snow) at:
- Floyd Bennett Field's North Forty Natural Area is available for cross country skiing. Park rangers will cut a trail through the snow for you to follow.
7. Enroll the Kids in Ecology Village Summer Camping
- Ecology Village, located at Floyd Bennett Field, offers a two day camping experience to students, ages 8-14. The program is available to non-profit and organized groups during the months of July and August. Call (718) 338-4306.
8. Go Fishing (Year - round) at:
- Floyd Bennett Field
- Fort Tilden
- Canarsie Pier
- Call 718-338-3799 for permit and other information.
9. Do Some Gardening (Spring, Summer, and Autumn)
- Enjoy Brooklyn's largest Community Garden at Floyd Bennett Field. Call the Floyd Bennett Garden Association at 718-338-4255.
10. Play Golf, Practice Your Swing (Year - round)
- The Brooklyn Golf Center, located on Flatbush Avenue adjacent to Floyd Bennett Field, offers a driving range, pro shop and golf instruction. 718-253-6816.
- In Queens, the Riis Park Pitch and Putt Golf Course offers an 18 hole par 3 executive course in a links - style setting. 718-474-1623.
11. Explore US History (Year - round)
Jamaica Bay's historic sites, include
- Fort Tilden, a former U.S. Army post in Queens and
- Floyd Bennett Field, a former municipal airport and U.S. Naval Air Station, in Brooklyn
12. Go Horseback Riding (Year - round)
- Jamaica Bay Riding Academy at 718-531-8949.
13. Enroll the Kids in a Junior Ranger Program (Year - round)
- Aspiring Junior Rangers can pick up the Junior Ranger activity booklet, and earn the Junior Ranger badge and patch at Floyd Bennett Field, Jacob Riis Park, and the Jamaica Bay Wildlife Refuge.
14. Have Fun Flying a Model Airplane (Year - round, weather permitting)
- Call 718-338-3799 for information on the Radio Controlled Flying Field at Floyd Bennett Field.
15. Get a Stamp on Your Passport to Your National Parks (Year - round)
- For collectors, passport stamps are available at Floyd Bennett Field, Jacob Riis Park, and the Jamaica Bay Wildlife Refuge. Passport to Your National Parks books are sold through the Eastern National bookstores at Floyd Bennett Field and the Jamaica Bay Wildlife Refuge.
16. Have a Picnic (Year - round)
- Jacob Riis Park; barbeque grills are available.
- Group picnic facilities are available by permit at Fort Tilden.
17. Pitch a Tent and Go Camping (Year - round)
- Brooklyn's Floyd Bennett Field has four public campsites available for a unique urban, yet rustic camping experience. $50 for three nights. 718-338-3799.
18. Get Fit at Public Recreation and Sports Facilities (Year - round)
- Brooklyn's Aviator Sports and Events Center, has indoor ice skating, hockey, a climbing wall, gymnastics, basketball, and outdoor sports fields. 718-758-7500.
19. Walk & Hike (Year - round)
- Take a self guided trail at the Jamaica Bay Wildlife Refuge. Try the Upland, East Pond and West Pond trails.
- Or hike in the back fort area of Fort Tilden.
- But leave Fido home. Pets are not permitted anywhere within the Jamaica Bay Wildlife Refuge District.