Fathers Day often presents a challenge: Beyond what to give Dad, what would be fun to do? Well, here are ten ideas of things to do and places to go for a memorable Brooklyn dad's day. See also 10 Ways to Spend Fathers Day in Brooklyn.
Celebrate Fathers Day with a good meal! There are lots of ways to skin the culinary cat:
- Head to the once-a-month Grand Army Plaza Food Truck Rally to sample the offerings of some of New York City's finest gourmet good trucks, including fresh lobster.
- Try to get a reservation at one of Brooklyn's top restaurants.
- Have brunch at one of these 12 Zagat rated restaurants.
- Check out 5 classic Brooklyn restaurants and bars.
- Try a low key brunch spots in DUMBO.
Gear to Go Outfitters,a tiny outpost for the hardy hiker. Known for excellent service, this little store prizes personal service, so even if you don't know a backpack from a back ache, they'll be able to help you. (718) 399-7848. Whether your father is an aspirational or an actual hiker, some guys love gear.
3. Introduce Dad to Brooklyn's Craft Beer CultureBuy the old feller some beer. Brooklyn's hopping with bars, beer halls and breweries specializing in small batch craft beers. Here are five ideas of what and where:
- Pick up some Brooklyn Brewery brew in upscale food shops borough-wide.
- Order from Biercraft in Park Slope; they are truly beer specialists and have hundreds of different craft beer options (and excellent sandwiches, too).
- Check out Draft Barn in Gowanus, a new establishment with an impressive list of brews on Third Avenue near 12th Street; it's also in Sheepshead Bay on Avenue X.
4. Combine Pizza & Culture: Only-in-Brooklyn Pizza, With Fun to Go
Barclays Center in Fort Greene has a full calendar of events, including Brooklyn Nets games but also concerts, Disney on Ice and about a hundred other events. Find something that appeals, and give Dad the promise of fun to come: some tickets for a night or afternoon out in the autumn. For instance, check out the calendar of gospel concerts at the stadium.
8. DO a BBQ with Great Dogs, Brooklyn StyleFor a dad who loves to have a BBQ:
9. Go to the Movies or a Show at Brooklyn Academy of Music
Not big talkers, you and dad? So go to the movies. Here's what's playing at BAM during Fathers Day weekend:
- La Dolce Vita at BAM Rose Cinemas on Fri, Jun 15 at 7pm & Sun, Jun 17 at 3, 7pm
- Moonrise Kingdom at BAM Rose Cinemas on Sun, Jun 17 at 2, 4:30, 7, 9:15pm
- Prometheus 3D at BAM Rose Cinemas on Sun, Jun 17 at 1:30, 4, 6:45, 9:30pm
- Your Sister's Sister at BAM Rose Cinemas on Sun, Jun 17 at 2:15, 4:45, 7:15, 9:40pm
- The Caretaker
BAM Harvey Theater on Jun 17 (last performance).