Do the Midnight Run, See the New Year's Fireworks! It's All In the Same Place: Prospect ParkThe midnight run in Prospect Park, now a Brooklyn tradition, is timed to for a fabulous finish. Runners and walkers finish the course just about when the New Year's Eve fireworks start to flare in Prospect Park. After the race, participants are treated to hot chocolate — and can then go watch the fireworks.
It's just a short walk from the finish line where hot chocolate and medals are handed out to an excellent viewing spot for the fireworks.
The New Years Fun Run course starts at Prospect Park's Ninth Street entrance at 11:15 P.M. (Get there before the race; see details below.) The start line is near the F/G subway station, and about a mile walk from Grand Army Plaza, where festivities for the New Year's Eve fireworks begin at 11 P.M.
Everyone is welcome: join in whether you're a marathoner or a walker.
Course for Brooklyn's New Year's Eve Fun Run: A Mini-LoopThe New Year's Eve run does not follow the entire loop around Prospect Park that most cyclists and runners who use the park are familiar with.
Instead, after a start at the Ninth Street entrance to Prospect Park, runners head south down the hill and past the lake on the left, toward the exit in the Park that leads to Coney Island Avenue, and then turn around at the Lincoln Road Entrance to the Park. The Lincoln Road entrance is slightly past the site of the old Wollman skating rink.
Registration & New Year's Eve Run Details
- Pick-Up/Registration: from 10 P.M.- 11:15 P.M. near the Ninth Street entrance to Prospect Park.
- Race Start: 11:15 P.M., December 31st.
- Nearest Subway: F/G train to 7th Avenue; exit on Prospect Park West.
- Cost: $21 if you register before 12/23. $25 if you register on 12/23 through 12/30. $30 thereafter. Get registration information.
- The first 300 registrants in 2011-2012's event get a pair of flip-top mittens and glow necklaces.
- Bag check is available, so you can bring sweats and a jacket.
- Prizes: Gift certificates for the male and female winners.
- Official Website: http://nycruns.com.