Check out the goings-on at the official Park Slope NY Marathon Cheering Zone, sponsored by Road Runner, the internet provider. There will be some giveaways. The Cheering Zone is located at 4th Avenue and 7th Street, just two blocks from the 9th Street and 4th Avenue subway station.
Park Slope's Marathon-watching crowd is not terribly huge, at least by Manhattan standards. But people arrive early to watch the elite runners and the amazing athletes who compete in wheelchairs and with various disabilities. The crowd is enthusiastic, and vocal. Many families come with kids, who get front row viewing, or are lifted onto a parental shoulder. It's familial, easy-going, and friendly.
From one end of Park Slope to the other, along 4th Avenue, there'll be entertainment and live music during Marathon Sunday. You could navigate your way through the entire two-mile , Park Slope segment of the Marathon. and hear a different performer or band every couple of blocks, while cheering on the Marathon runners as they finish the first third of the race.
And, if you don't get there early, don't fret. The NY Marathon goes on for hours.
Free Music: Bands on Marathon Sunday in Park Slope 2011
- The Wilson Dixon Band 4th Avenue between 6th & 7th Streets
- Giant Flying Turtles 4th Avenue and 20th
- Edwin Vazquez 4th Avenue and 11th Street / 4th Avenue and 9th
- Kung Fury 4th Avenue and 15th
- Hell or High Water 4th Avenue and Union
- Berkeley Carroll School 4th Avenue and Douglas
- Brooklyn Guitar School 4th Avenue and St Marks
- Entertainment Stage Presented by MOTOACTV ™ from Motorola - Featuring The Energy Entertainment Zone 2: 4th Avenue and Flatbush Avenue
Tips for ING New York City Marathon Spectators
- Where it is in the Marathon Course : Miles 6 to 8 of the Marathon Course
- Directions to Park Slope
- NY Marathon: Brooklyn Guide for Runners & Spectators Where to Go, How to Get There