The ING New York City Marathon sponsors have situated an ING Cheering Zone at BAM, at the corner of Lafayette Street and Ashland Avenue, creating a kind of orchestrated Brooklyn pride shout-out to the Marathoners. This is a great, energizing spot from which to watch one of the world's most famous and beloved races.
BAM, more properly known as the Brooklyn Academy of Music, is one of New York City's best known cultural centers, offering audiences live (and sometimes edgy) performances, opera, dance, film, and various festivals. It's one of the cultural hubs of Brooklyn. So of course, given BAM's force field, one would expect great energy and creativity around the New York City Marathon at this juncture.
And indeed, that's the case.
It's worth noting the description of this location provided by the event on the organizer's website in 2011. It says, "BAM is a favorite spot for Marathon spectators. Add great entertainment, neighborhood diversity and even the occasional mid-Marathon wedding ceremony "...(italics added).
Free Music: Where to Hear Live Bands, Performers on Marathon Sunday Near BAMThere's lots of free entertainment here.
Look for the Entertainment Stage Presented by MOTOACTV ™ from Motorola - Featuring The Energy Entertainment Zone 2:at 4th Avenue and Flatbush Avenue.
You can also hear other live performances nearby:
- Tucker James & the Hot Mugs at 4th Ave & St. Marks near the Mini Mart;
- Steel Wolf at 4th Ave & Atlantic Avenue near Dunkin' Donuts,
Tips for ING New York City Marathon Spectators
- Where it is in the Marathon Course: Miles 8-10
- Directions to Brooklyn Academy of Music (BAM is adjacent to the Atlantic Mall)
- A word to the wise: Take care when meeting friends to specify where near BAM you're all meeting, and exit the subway close to where you want to be, not across the race course from your destination! The Marathon course streets are closed to all traffic, including non-participating pedestrians, during the race. The race is crowded, fast and furious; there's no way to cut through the New York City Marathon.