Brooklyn has over a dozen outdoor public pools, of various sizes and depths. They are all run by the New York City Parks Department, which fairly strictly controls not only hours, but what kinds of clothing can be worn, what can be brought into the actual swimming area. Every pool has adequate lifeguards. The physical conditions of the pools vary; some are quite old.
And, while sometimes these public pools are impossibly crowded, at other times you can be pleasantly surprised by the quiet.
Parents of children should be aware that kids under 16 must, according to Park Department rules, be at least eight inches taller than the maximum water depth to enter the pool without adult supervision.
Unlike the indoor public pools, which require a membership, outdoor public pools are free, and ID showing Brooklyn or NYC residency is not necessary.
About this Neighborhood Guide to Brooklyn's Outdoor Public Pools
The list includes a range of different outdoor pools, for different ages and types of swimmers: Olympic sized pools with lap lanes, intermediate sized pools, three-foot deep mini pools and one-foot only shallow wading pools.
More information about swimming in NYC public pools can be found on the Parks Department website, http://www.nycgovparks.org.
1. Bedford Stuyvesant:Junior High School 57, HS 26. Mini PoolJHS 57/HS 26 Jesse Owens Playground 117 Stuyvesant Avenue (718) 452-0519
2. Bedford-Stuyvesant: Kosciuszko Pool. Olympic & WadingKosciuszko Marcy Avenue between DeKalb Avenue & Kosciuszko Street (718) 622-5271
3. Boerum Hill: Douglas & DeGraw. Intermediate & WadingThomas Greene Playground Third Avenue and Nevins Street (718) 625-3268
4. Brownsville: OlympicBetsy Head Park Boyland, Livonia and Dumont Avenues (718) 965-6581
5. Bushwick: Intermediate and Wading PoolsBushwick Bushwick Playground Humboldt Street, Flushing & Bushwick Avenues
6. East New York: Howard Pool. Intermediate and WadingHoward Playground Glenmore and Mother Gaston Blvd., East New York Avenue (718) 385-1023
7. Flatlands/Paedergat: Public School 251. Mini PoolDavid Fox/PS 251 Fox Playground E. 54th Street & Avenue H (718) 531-2437
8. Flatlands: Glenwood Houses. Mini Pool.Glenwood Playground Farragut Road & Ralph Avenue (718) 531-2480
9. Fort Greene/Clinton Hill: PS 20 Playground. Mini PoolAlbert J. Parham Playground Between Clermont Ave. & Adelphi St. (718) 625-6101
10. Fort Greene (Near Navy Yard): Commodore Barry Pool. Intermediate & WadingCommodore Barry Park Flushing and Park Avenues, Navy and North Elliot Streets (718) 243-2593