1. What is Black Friday in Brooklyn?In Brooklyn, as in many parts of the US, the Friday following Thanksgiving Thursday is called "Black Friday."
Black Friday is the beginning of the December holiday shopping, season, attracting shoppers seeking bargains on Christmas, Hanukkah and Kwanzaa gifts, decorations and foods.
Ads about Black Friday bargains appear at the last minute in the local newspapers, on TV and online, usually on Thanksgiving day.
On Black Friday most major national brand stores open very early (sometimes as early as 4 a.m.) and offer special early-bird specials. Typically, many bargain seekers stand in line hours before these stores are opened, hoping to purchase items, including expensive electronic equipment such as televisions and computers, marked down at steeply discounted prices.
Every year, the stories of these early bird shoppers appear on television and in the news.
In the national advertising that heralds Black Friday, stores sometimes feature a limited supply of highly discounted items that are available only in the first hours of shopping.
In 2008, in a tragic accident, a worker opening a Wal-Mart store in Long Island was trampled to death by the onrush of about 2,000 shoppers who had been waiting for hours for the store to open at 5 a.m. (See NY Times report here.)
Practical Tips on Black Friday:
- Black Friday Sales in Brooklyn: What's On Sale, Where
- 10 Tips for Smart Black Friday Shopping
- Top 20 Retailers for Black Friday Sales in Brooklyn
- When are Black Friday Sales in Brooklyn?
For Your Information:
About Brooklyn's Malls:
- Brooklyn's Gateway Mall: Brooklyn's Best Kept Secret off the Belt Parkway
- About the Atlantic Mall/ Atlantic Center on Flatbush Ave. in Fort Greene
- More about Brooklyn's Shopping Malls