Check out the two Housing Works thrift stores in Brooklyn. (See addresses below.)
The goods sold at the Brooklyn outposts of this highly successful New York City chain of nonprofit thrift stores aren't necessarily vintage. Rather, they're good quality used items, including some brand label and designer clothing and interesting furniture.
They sell "accessories, clothing, home decor, artwork and furniture ranging from $1 to $1500, with brands that range from vintage to J Crew and Banana Republic to DVF, Marc Jacobs and Costume National," said a company spokesperson interviewed in December 2011.
Shop at Housing Works, Fight AIDS and HIVNot only are these two of the nicest thrift stores in Brooklyn. In addition, the profit from these shops goes toward Housing Work's multi-million dollar campaign addressing AIDS and HIV — both health issues that impact thousands of Brooklyn residents.
About Housing Works Thrift StoresA few things of note:
- The stores are notably both clean, and well-organized.
- If the display windows look professionally arranged (rare for a thrift store), that's because they are; these items are sold by online auction. Practically speaking, that means if you walk by the Park Slope store and fall in love with the red leather chair in the window, you can't buy it outright, but you can bid on it online. (But beware, the merchandise can be tantalizing, so if you're an Ebay addict, you might find yourself with another online shopping addiction.)
- Window/case auctions are announced every Monday at noon and they run for two weeks.
- Prices are higher than at the Salvation Army, but a fraction of normal retail.
- Both stores are open seven days a week.
- Housing Works was born in Manhattan. But the headquarters of this $50 million non-profit social enterprise is located in Brooklyn, on Willoughby Street in Downtown Brooklyn.
- Where: 122 Montague Street, in the heart of Brooklyn Heights, Brooklyn
- When: Mon-Sat: 11 A.M.-7 P.M., Sun: 12 P.M.-5 P.M.
- Contact: (718) 237-0521
- Where: 266 5th Avenue, Park Slope, Brooklyn
- When: Mon-Sat: 12.-7 P.M., Sun: 12 P.M.-5 P.M.
- Contact: Phone: (718) 636-2271