Most major retailers that discount these items — for instance, Macy’s and Target — have stores in Brooklyn malls that may be more navigable than overcrowded Manhattan locations.
6 Tips for Smart After Christmas Shopping
- Look for Coupons and Special Offers. Shoppers can maximize after Christmas savings simply by taking a moment to get, and then use, the store coupons. Check the newspaper, online, and at the store for special coupon offers to save bucks.
- Buy Toys Now for Gifts Next Year. Hot seasonal toys are always deeply discounted around Christmas time. If there are children's birthdays coming up (and one can be sure that they didn't get that same toy from Santa!), then buying toys in the post Christmas sales is a great way to save big bucks on making the little ones happy when next year's birthday rolls around.
- Buy Christmas or Hanukkah-Decorated Foods. Stores like Costco (in Sunset Park, Brooklyn) sell huge quantities of Christmas foods — candy canes and Christmas cakes, for instance — that they need to move off the shelves quickly, so prices are slashed as these goods are moved into the clearance section of the shelves. Check the expiration dates.
- Consider buying discounted returned items. Some retailers offer deep discounts on perfectly good merchandise, such as televisions, that haven't been used, but have been returned in boxes that have been damaged. For instance, Best Buy's three Brooklyn stores (Atlantic Mall, Gateway Mall, Kings Plaza Mall) sell "Open Box Items," described as "items are floor samples, returned, or reconditioned products" that range from computers to cameras to TVs. These items are sold on a first-come, first-served basis. Check the details of return policies in case the item itself is damaged.
Head to the Malls: Brooklyn is home to a range of middle-of-the-price-spectrum malls: Atlantic Center Mall, Kings Plaza, Macy's and the stores in the Fulton Mall, as well as Gateway. (High-end stores, such as Chanel, Hermes or even Bloomingdales haven't yet appeared in Brooklyn.) Shoppers will likely find better discounts right after Christmas in malls than in Brooklyn's many charming neighborhood stores, which tend to wait until later in the winter for massive discounts.
National Brands with After Christmas Sales — With Locations in Brooklyn
- Best Buy
- Circuit City
- Gap/Gap Kids/Baby Gap
- Lane Bryant
- Old Navy
- Rite Aid
- Buy For Next Year. Think thrift. Pick up bargains on Christmas tree ornaments, wrapping, holiday cards, Santa outfits, and Christmas- or Hanukkah-themed kitchen items such as mugs and kitchen mitts. The retailers don't want to store this merchandise for a year! But make sure there's room to stash it at home; holiday items will need to be stored for a full twelve months.