This season, catch a performance of The Nutcracker, the Messiah, or to enjoy a local production of the Christmas classic, A Christmas Carol.
There are wonderful, low-key, family-friendly holiday shows all over Brooklyn. Here are a few December 2012 highlights of shows with light-hearted holiday themes. Also see: Christmas for Kids in Brooklyn
and Hanukah Events in Brooklyn
Since the beginning of November, Brooklyn artists and venues have turned out big-time to fundraise for the relief and recovery efforts post Hurricane Sandy. Find out what's happening this holiday season.
The fabulous American Ballet Theater is performing The Nutcracker at the Brooklyn Academy of Music this holiday season. (Other local productions of The Nutcracker have already taken place.) Tickets are still available; buy soon!
3. Blockbuster Shows at Barclays Center: Smashing Pumpkins to Dave Matthews
Quite a holiday line up!
A festive interdenominational Messiah sing along, organized by local Park Slope powerhouses Old First Reformed Church, in partnership with the Brooklyn Community Chorus, the Brooklyn Conservatory of Music, and Congregation Beth Elohim. This promises to be a fun, rousing event! get details!
Ideal for tots age 3 and up, the 20-plus year-old Puppet Works serves up delightful programs every weekend.
- Where: 338 Sixth Avenue (at 4th Street)
- When: Saturday and Sundays
- Admission: Cash only. Reservations suggested
- Contact: (718) 965-3391
If you've never heard the Brooklyn Youth Chorus, you're in for a treat. This is an internationally acclaimed chorus,and you won't regret your time spent listening to them. Program includes choral classics by Schumann, Rutter and Chilcott and a BYC commissioned work by experimental composer John King, plus unique holiday arrangements of Tomorrow Shall Be My Dancing Day
, Adonai Ro'i
and Christmas is Coming.
- Where: Our Lady of Lebanon Cathedral (corner of Remsen and Henry Streets, Brooklyn Heights)
- When: Friday, Dec. 14, 7:30 PM
- Admission: $15-$35. order here
See the Brooklyn Tabernacle show, "It’s Christmas Once again," a megawatt, faith-filled production enlivened with music, dancing and dramatizations. Check out the Brooklyn Tabernacle Choir
- Where: Brooklyn Tabernacle, 17 Smith Street, between Livingston and Fulton Streets, in Downtown Brooklyn near Fulton Mall
- When: Dec. 13, 16, 18; check site for times
- Admission: Free
- Contact: See Tabernacle website
This production is a classic holiday family show, complete with a mean Scrooge who, finally, sees the light.
- Where: Carroll Park, Robert Acito Park House, Carroll Gardens.
- When: December 14 at 7P.M, 15 at 5 PM and 7 PM, Dec. 16 at 5 PM.
- Admission: Tickets at BrownPaperTickets.com
The inimitable, inspiring Brooklyn Youth Chorus performs three concerts on one day, at noon, 2:30 and 7:30 PM. Find out more here.
- Where: Our Lady of Lebanon Cathedral (Remsen & Henry Sts, Brooklyn Heights)
- When: Friday, Dec. 14, three different events- at noon, 2:30 and 7:30 PM
- Admission: Advance purchase recommended. Prices vary. Get tickets
gospel musical stage production is based upon its author’s struggles growing up as a young woman in the South experiencing neglect and physical abuse.
- Where: Kumble Theater, Long Island University Brooklyn Campus, Fort Greene/Downtown Brooklyn)
- When: Sat Dec. 15 4 PM and 8 PM & Sun Dec 16 at 4 PM and 8 PM
- Admission: $25, $22.50– stu dents, seniors and groups of 8 or more