Shop local this year. Explore nearly two dozen wonderful holiday markets and craft fairs, both indoor and outdoor, all over
Brooklyn this holiday season. Check out the Brooklyn Night Bazaar in Williamsburg, and Crafted on the Canal in Gowanus. Don't miss Brooklyn Flea's three day shopping extravaganza in Fort Greene, or the Brooklyn Central Craft Fair.
TOP PICKS FOR BROOKLYN HOLIDAY MARKETS — SHOP LOCAL
You can't beat the classy Brooklyn Flea, a curated vintage marketplace that also
has booths with crafts and wonderful artisanal food. For fun there are also games and scavenger hunts. During the winter, Brooklyn Flea is indoors. Note: There won't be a "Gifted" market at Brooklyn Flea this year. Instead, the regular market will be open on three additional dates for Christmas shopping.
- Where: Skylight One Hanson space at the former Williamsburg Savings Bank, near Atlantic Terminal and Brooklyn Academy of Music.
- When: Saturdays and Sundays, 10 A.M.-6 P.M. including Dec 22-23, 2012
- Admission: Free
Not to be missed! The night bazaar idea, exotic and increasingly popular in Brooklyn, means you can take your date Christmas shopping this weekend, and still catch a concert. Have some wine or beer, check out the art installations, hear live music, and browse among the 100 food and craft vendors at this outdoor market. Note that entry is free but there are some ticketed music events.
- Where: 45 North 5th St. between Wythe and Kent Aves, in Williamsburg
- When: Weekends through Dec. 22, Friday and Saturday nights, 6 PM until midnight.
Listed as one of top craft markets a few years ago by NY Magazine
, the Brooklyn Craft Central Holiday Market offers shoppers the chance to double dip. Each day of their two-day sale this market features different vendors.
You won't starve, either; food truck faves Rickshaw Dumplings, Mexicue and El Olomega will be there. Locavore food gift items: Rescue Chocolates, Jenni's Cookies, Granola Lab, The Jam Stand, Sourpuss Pickles and more.
- Where: Littlefield at 633 Degraw Street in Gowanus.
- When: Saturday and Sunday, December 16-16 and 22-23, 11 AM to 5 P.M.
They're back for 2012! Visit this huge indoor flea market called Artists & Fleas this holiday season, in the heart of Williamsburg "
- Where: 70 North 7th Street [Google Map] between Kent & Wythe Avenues, 3 blocks from the Bedford Avenue L train. 1 block from Williamsburg's waterfront.
- When:Saturdays and Sundays, 10-7
- Admission: Free
5. Past Event - Scandinavian Christmas Market (Bay Ridge)
This special holiday event is organized in part by the Scandinavian East Coast Museum, along with a old-time Bay Ridge store, Nordic Delicacies, that specializes in, what else, Scandinavian goods.
- Where: Nordic Delicacies, at 6909 Third Avenue in Bay Ridge.
- When: Saturday, Dec. 15, 2012 from 10 A.M. - 3 P.M.
Since 2006, 3rd Ward has been hosting a very special Handmade Holiday Craft Fair. Buy bags, toys and clothes from over a hundred local artists, while relaxing with live music and cocktails. More about this great collective:
- Where: Third Ward 195 Morgan Avenue, Williamsburg.
- When:Saturday, December 15, Noon to 6 P.M.
The first 200 people get free goodies. Drinks and snacks from Rucola in Boerum Hill.
7. Past Event - South Slope Holiday Craft Fair
Tucked inside an elementary school you can find the works of many local Btooklyn craftspeople and artists. Of course, there are lots of fun things to keep the kids happy too, including snacks.
- Where: P.S. 10, 511 Seventh Avenue between Prospect Avenue and 17th Street.
- When: Saturday, December 15, 11am-5pm
Started in 2007, the now-annual Lyceum Holiday Marketplace is held in an interesting basement of an old public bathhouse-turned-venue. You'll find a wide array of handcrafted items, many made by local Brooklyn artists. This is a good place to pick up $25 and under items for kids, family members and even pets.
- Where: 227 4th Avenue.
- When: December 15 & 16, 11 A.M. – 7 P.M.
You can also catch a live show performed by the “Superheroes Who Are Super " at 3 and 6 P.M., and again, in PG version, on Saturday at 9 P.M.
Once an institution on the lower east side of Manhattan, Loreley
opened a biergarten in Brooklyn in 2010, and in 2011 offered use of their large space for a two-weekend, first-ever holiday market. The line up of vendors is impressive — and you can have beer while you shop!
- Where: 64 Frost St. at Meeker Avenue.
- When: Weekends: December 10 & 11, 17 & 18, noon to 5 P.M .
- Admission: Free
"Vintage modern" just about captures the aesthetic here in Greenpoint, where old world Polish residents mix with newly arrived hipsters. Visit this one-day craft market for gifts including handmade soaps, candles, apron gift sets, and more.
- Where: Lutheran Church of the Messiah (129 Russell St.)
- When: Dec. 8, 2012 noon – 5 P.M