Attend a Community Christmas Tree LightingFind out when the Christmas tree will be lit in your Brooklyn neighborhood, and join in the fun: song, food, and holiday cheer. Sometimes Santa might even make an appearance!
Many neighborhood associations plan their tree lighting ceremonies on the first or second of December. And some groups light their trees as early as Thanksgiving weekend, which is when the famous holiday light display goes on in Dyker Heights!
And, for your own tree at home: Where to Buy a Christmas Tree in Brooklyn
2012 CHRISTMAS TREE LIGHTINGS IN BROOKLYN, NOVEMBER-DECEMBER( A note to readers: The following list is organized alphabetically, so you can search for your own neighborhood. If you'd rather search by date, then see the 2012 calendar of tree lightings here.)
1. Carroll Gardens: Friday, December 6, 2013 at 6 PM
Holiday Tree Lighting sponsored by the Court Street Merchants Association, will be held at Court Street near the Valentino Ball Field in Carroll Park. Free! Party at the park house to follow!
2. Park Slope: TBDCome to Park Slope's Old Stone House for a Christmas Tree Party. Santa and his entourage will drop by the recently renovated Washington Park to watch the tree light up, and Brooklyn family band Rolie Polie Guacamole will play some tunes with help from the Middle School 51 chorus.Along with the live music, have some hot chocolate and other goodies, and a visit with Santa. Festivities light up at 6 PM.
Where:Park Slope Fifth Avenue BID – Park Slope Old Stone House, 336 Third Street between Fourth and Fifth Avenues
3. Brooklyn Borough Hall: TBD
Where: – Brooklyn Heights Borough Hall Plaza, 209 Joralemon Street at Court Street FREE Santa will drop by to help light up Brooklyn's Borough Hall for the holidays.
4. Brooklyn Heights, Promenade and Montague St. TBDCome watch the tree lighting in Brooklyn Heights at the bottom of Montague Street, where it meets the Promenade. Enjoy carolers and lots of local fun. Compliments of the Brooklyn Heights Garden Club.
5. Dyker Heights: Christmas Neighborhood LightsYou can't beat it! Get there early, as tour buses and tourists cram the streets later in December. The lights go up Thanksgiving weekend!
6. Various: Local Church Tree LightingsYou can also attend tree lighting ceremonies throughout the borough at local churches, for instance, in Bay Ridge/Bensonhurst/Sunset/Dyker Heights, at:
- St. Gregory the Great Church
- Good Shepherd Church
- Holy Cross R.C Church
- Holy Cross Greek Orthodox Church
- Our Lady of Angels Church
- St. Mark's Church
- St. Brendan Church
- Holy Name Church
- Visitation Academy .
- St. Ephrem's Church
- Bethlehem Lutheran Church
- St. Mary Mother of Jesus Church - Thursday December 8 at 8:30 p.m.
- Fort Hamilton Army Base Chapel - Friday December 9 at 5:30 p.m.
- St. Anselm's Church - Saturday December 10 at 6 p.m.
- Our Saviour's Lutheran Church - Saturday December 10 at 6 p.m.
- St. Athanasius Church - Saturday December 10 at 6:30 p.m.
- St. Finbar Church - Saturday December 10 at 6:30 p.m
- Mary Queen of Heaven Church - Saturday December 10 at 6 p.m.
- Salam Arabic Lutheran Church - Saturday December 10 at 6 p.m.
- Our Lady of Guadelupe Church - Saturday December 10 at 6:30 p.m.
- Immaculate Heart of Mary Church - Sunday December 11 at 4:30 p.m.
- St. Patrick's Church - Sunday December 11 at 6 p.m.
- Regina Pacis Church - Sunday December 11 at 7 p.m.
- St. Bernadette Church - Wednesday December 14 at 7:30 p.m.
- St. Andrew the Apostle - Sunday December 18 at 7 p.m.
7. PAST EVENT Atlantic Avenue: Thursday, TBDAttend the tree lighting at the Belarusan Church at the corner of Atlantic Avenue and Bond Street. The event is sponsored by the Atlantic Avenue Development Corporation. Also, enjoy treats and tunes courtesy of Rolie Polie Guacamole and local public school students. At the Belarusian Church, 401 Atlantic Avenue at Bond Street.