It's not essential to trek into Manhattan to see a wonderful performance of The Nutcracker. In fact, this year, the American Ballet Theater is performing in Brooklyn. But there's also a charming performance by a local Russian ballet school, and a colonial version of the performance offered by the wonderful theater at Brooklyn College, the Brooklyn Center for the Performing Arts.
Find out where and when The Nutcracker is being danced in good old Brooklyn, New York this holiday season.
All of the following are appropriate for ages 4 and up.
- Where: BAM Howard Gilman Opera House, Lafayette Avenue, Fort Greene
- When: December 7-16, 2012, evenings and matinees.
- Ticket prices: Prices range.
- Website: www.bam.org
- Contact: 718.636.4100 or email tickets@BAM.org
The acclaimed American Ballet Theater brings its classical performance of The Nutcracker to Brooklyn.
Is it worth it? Absolutely, hands down, no question. This is not a Nutcracker one can sleep through. The sets are vivid and the costumes gorgeous. The interpretation of this classic is as knowing as can be, with girls-club harem dancers giving their man a hard time, a ferociously funny main mouse character (played by a youth with impossibly skinny, mousy little legs), and a scene in which the "snowflakes" morph from comforting beauty into a child's version of a scary, nasty, violent snow storm. And, of course, the dancing is as perfect as ballet can be. A great show, appealing to people of all ages. More, from the BAM website: "Magical toy soldiers, sparkling snowflakes, mischievous mice, and all the enchanting inhabitants of E.T.A. Hoffmann’s whimsical world return to BAM for the winter holidays in this acclaimed production of The Nutcracker, presented by the renowned American Ballet Theatre. Performed with a live orchestra, together with extraordinary sets and costumes by Tony Award-winner Richard Hudson (The Lion King)."
- Where: Brooklyn Center for the Performing Arts,Walt Whitman Theatre, at Brooklyn College. Campus Road & Hillel Place. Get directions.
- When: 2 P.M
- Ticket prices: All Seats: $10
- Website: http://www.brooklyncenter.com/
- Contact: (718) 951 4500
From the website: "Dance Theatre in Westchester performs an abridged, narrated version of Tchaikovsky’s classic ballet set in wintry colonial Yorktown, complete with a red-coated mouse army and an enchanted nutcracker prince."
- Where: Leon M. Goldstein Performing Arts Center, Kingsborough Community College, 2001 Oriental Blvd., Manhattan Beach/li>
- When: 5 P.M
- Ticket prices: $30 $25, $20. Children seniors are eligible for a$15-advance purchase only at the BBT/School of Russian American Ballet office (reduced price tix not available for sale at the door or online).
- For information: (718) 769-9161
There's a big Russian community in Brooklyn, and one of their ballet schools offers a top notch student performance of the classic Nutcracker. This year the troupe's show is in a wonderful location in Manhattan Beach, Brooklyn. Recommended for ages 4 and up.
From their website: "Brighton Ballet Theater revives a holiday classic featuring lavish costumes, splendid scenery, and a junior company of 80+ young dancers."
From The New York Post: "An abridged version of the famous ballet is perfect for kids (and adults)… The show moves along quicker and has more rhythm to suit a contemporary audience."