Brooklyn summers rock. And one reason is that in the summer you can take your pick of outdoor concerts and movies!
As for music: Many Brooklyn concerts draw top tier talent, including jazz musicians, gospel singers, rock stars and more. Check out this summer's schedule!
And flicks: Wow. You can watch flicks on the beach at Coney Island, or against the backdrop of the Manhattan skyline at Brooklyn Bridge Park. See movies in Williamsburg's McCarren Park, and much, much more. Free!
There are outdoor movies every night of the week in Brooklyn. And, often they are free! So go and sit under the stars and watch a flick. There are oldies but goodies. Silent films. Indie films. Movies where you can spread out on a picnic. Movies followed by a DJ and dancing.
Summer movie-going is a great opportunity to visit a part of the borough you've never been before. Check out Red Hook, Williamsburg, Coney Island, Prospect Park, Fort Greene and more!
A few tips:
- Check the weather!
- Get there early to stake out your seat
- Check the venue's policies on alcohol, use of glass containers, and seating.
Brooklyn's alive with, well, live music every summer.
- You can catch jazz, rock, gospel, soul, oldies but goodies, indie, classical music, and dance music all summer long at free or mostly free concerts under the stars!
- Many concert venues are large, holding up to seven thousand people. So, as with the outdoor movies, check the schedules and arrive early or at least promptly.
- Most outdoor concerts are held in public parks, governed by the NYC Parks Department rules.
- In case of rain: check the venue website, or just bring a slicker and an umbrella,
- Most venues have food vendors.