Though New Yorkers are accustomed to car and subway traffic, bikes are emerging as the new way to get around in the city. More and more people are using their bicycles to get to work on a daily basis, which means that the demand for a great bike repair shops has gone up. Here is a list of some of the most popular bicycle stores in the Williamsburg area (including Greenpoint and Bushwick) whether you're looking to purchase a bike (new or used), get some repairs done, or if you need a helmet or other accessories.
- 133 Grand Street b/w Berry and Bedford
- (718) 302-3145
- Hours: 12 p.m. - 7 p.m., Monday through Friday but CLOSED Wednesday. 10 a.m. - 6 p.m., Saturday; 12 p.m. - 5 p.m., Sunday.
- Bikes, Parts, Accessories and Apparel
Established in 2000, the Brooklyn Bike Doctor is a highly professional shop and a great place to get repairs done. Though some patrons have complained that it is not the friendliest service, the work holds up.
- 262 Driggs Avenue between Eckford and Leonard
- (718) 349-1212
The staff at B's Bikes is very friendly and helpful. In terms of repairs, their specialty is single-gear bikes. Patrons note that the bikes they sell are in good shape but inexpensive. Tune-ups range around $70.
- 632 Lorimer Street b/w Skillman and Jackson
- (347) 799-2014
The Brooklyn Bike Peddler is a very friendly, hands-on bicycle lover who recently cleaned up his storefront. In addition to straightforward repairs, now the shop also sells used bikes. Even though the store is small and its location a bit removed from the main streets of Williamsburg, The Bike Peddler is one of the most popular bike shops in the area.
- 1078 Manhattan Avenue b/w Eagle and Dupont
- (718) 389-3818
- Hours: 10 a.m. - 7 p.m., daily.
- New and Used Bikes, Kids Bikes, Repairs, Accessories, Tune-ups, Rentals.
As far as neighborhood bike shops go, Greenpoint Bikes is highly recommended. The service here is friendly and the staff is knowledgeable. The store is new and clean and the repairs are inexpensive. Affordable used bikes are also for sale.
- 1345 Dekalb Avenue
- (347) 405-7966
- Hours: 11 a.m. - 7 p.m., Monday through Friday; 11 a.m. - 6 p.m., Saturday; 12 p.m. - 5 p.m., Sunday.
- Custom Bike Repairs, Custom Wheels
This is the place to go in Bushwick for bike repairs and everything bicycle related. The customer service is excellent and straightforward. Here you can get a bike custom made just for you. Standard prices ($70) for tune-ups and cheaper for smaller repairs. Locals claim this is the best bike shop in all of Brooklyn.
- 616 Grand Street, between Leonard and Lorimer
- (718) 384-5181
- Hours: 12 p.m. - 7 p.m., daily.
- Complete Bikes, Parts, Accessories.
Though Affinity Cycles is a bit fancier than some of the other stores on this list, making their prices generally pricier, customers claim that the price is well worth it: the work here is excellent, at the professional level. Whether you are a serious cyclist or just starting out, Affinity is a great choice if it's convenient for you.