Think Madison Square Garden in Brooklyn: a huge venue for entertainment and sport events, near a major transportation hub. That's Barclays Center which opened in September 2012 as the new home to the Brooklyn Nets, the NBA basketball team formerly known as the New Jersey Nets.Barclays is also New York City's first new major sports and entertainment indoor arena to open in nearly a half-century, since 1968.
Barclays Center's owners expect to host about 200 sporting and entertainment events a year.
- We'd love to list the calendar of events, but who can keep up? Get the full calendar of events here.
- Barclays Center has been heralded as "one of the ten most important sports stadiums in the world."
- Opened in autumn 2012, Barclays Center's schedule began with a series of sold-out concerts by Brooklyn-born rap star Jay-Z who is also a part-owner (and a big presence) of the Brooklyn Nets NBA basketball team.
7. What's Jay-Z Got to Do with Barclays and the Nets?
For instance, for those who love trivia data:
Q: How big is the Barclays Center? It's BIG!
- Size of the stadium: 675,000-square feet
- Number of seats: Barclays Center will accommodate 18,000-seats for basketball games, and 19,000 for music and other entertainment events.It seats about as many people as Madison Square Garden.
9. Finding the Right Entrance for Your TicketIf you're planning on meeting friends at the venue, it's good to know that Barclays Center has more than one entrance. Check your ticket to see where yours is. The options are:
- Geico Main Entry – Main Entry: Corner of Flatbush Avenue and Atlantic Avenue
- EmblemHealth Atlantic Avenue Entry: Northeast corner of arena on Atlantic Avenue
- EmblemHealth Dean Street Entry: Southeast corner of arena on Dean Street
- Calvin Klein VIP Entry: Northwest corner of arena on Atlantic Avenue