HOORAY! IT'S WINTER! TIME FOR SLEDDING, BROOKLYN STYLE
Nothing beats sledding in the winter — and there are plenty of sledding hills in Brooklyn. Here's a list recommended by the New York Ciy Parks Department. Below, find out where parents can take their kids, and where kids of all ages can go sledding in Brooklyn.
You can find information on location, of course, but also on the all-important question (if you've got young kids in tow) of whether there are bathrooms nearby.
And if sledding's not your thing, learn where to build a snowman in Brooklyn.
There are four different hills here, and everyone has a rollin' good time, from adults to the youngest of Brooklynites. There's a natural incline in this park that makes for a lot of fun. You can enter at Willoughby Avenue or DeKalb Avenue.
Where it is: Fort Greene Park is bounded by Myrtle Avenue, Cumberland Street and DeKalb Avenue.
Bathrooms: The bathrooms (open year-round) in this park are located in the center of the park, and also in Fort Greene Playground at Myrtle Avenue & St. Edwards Plaza.
Park size: 30 acres
Tucked away in Brooklyn Heights, you can get a little sledding in at Columbia Heights. Brooklyn's Hillside Park is one of New York's sweetest pocket-sized parks, as many local parents will attest.
Where it is: The park is bounded by Columbia Heights and south of Vine Street.
Bathrooms: There are no bathrooms here.
Park size: 2 acres.
Afterwards, you can enjoy a hot chocolate or snack on Henry Street.
- Where it is: The park is bounded by Highland Boulevard, Jamaica Avenue and Jackie Robinson Parkway. NYC Parks Department recommends that you enter at the intersection of Highland Boulevard and Jamaica Avenue.
- Bathrooms: There are year-round bathrooms (open year-round) in this park.
- Park size: 140-plus acres.
- Where it is: The park is bounded by Buffalo and Rochester Avenues, adjacent to the Eastern Parkway Service Road
- Bathrooms: There are year-round bathrooms in the park, and also in the playground at the the corner of Rochester Avenue and Carroll Street.
- Park size: 17 acres
- Where it is: The park is bounded by Fort Hamilton Parkway, 73rd to 78th Streets, and 7th Avenue.
- Bathrooms: There is one year-round bathroom in this park.
- Park size: 7-plus acres
WHERE TO GO SLEDDING IN PROSPECT PARK
- Near the Tennis House at Prospect Park West and 9th Street
- In the meadow off Grand Army Plaza
- Behind the Picnic House at the Third Street Entrance
- Where it is: Prospect Park is large. It's bounded by Prospect Park West, Flatbush Avenue, Parkside Avenue and Ocean Avenue.
- Bathrooms: There are several year-round bathrooms in Prospect Park. They're located near the Lincoln Road and Ocean Avenue entrances, at the Picnic House and Third Street playground.
- Park size: 526 acres
- Where it is:The park is bounded by 41st to 44th streets, Fifth to Seventh Avenues
- Bathrooms: Inside the Sunset Park Recreation Center, also outside.
- Park size: 24.5 acres
Need a nibble afterward? Check out 5th Avenue for Latino food. Or, head to 8th Avenue for Chinese dumplings.
Owl’s Head Park
- Where it is: The park is at Colonial Road and 68 Street.
- Bathrooms: There are no bathrooms in this park.
Shore Park Road
- Where it is: The park is at the intersection of Shore Road and 97th Street.
- Bathrooms: There are three year-round bathroom areas dotted through the park.
- Park size: 58 acres