During April and May, visitors to the Brooklyn Botanic Garden will first see the blooming of the spectacular weeping cherry trees and, subsequently, the extravagant display of double pink blossoms on the Cherry Tree Esplanade.
2014 Sakura Matsuri Festival Focuses on Japanese CoSplay Fashion
Sakura Matsuri 2014 features a focus on Japanese fashion, with runway shows of the BBG Parasol Society and cosplay enthusiasts and presentations of traditional kimono wear. BBG's Cosplay Fashion Show--the only outdoor cosplay fashion show in the country--presents more than 20 of the city's most extravagant and talented cosplayers.
The entire month pf April at the Brooklyn Botanic Garden is dedicated to Hanami, a month-long Japanese celebration of the cherry blossom. The culmination of this month is the weekend-long cherry blossom festival, known in Japanese as "Sakura Matsuri."
The annual two day celebration of traditional and contemporary Japanese culture, Sakura Matsuri features over 60 performances, demonstrations, and exhibits. It will be held April 26 and 27, 2014 from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Events at the 2014 Cherry Blossom Festival
Sakura Matsuri favorites returning in 2014 include the following:
- Taiko drumming by Soh Daiko, Taiko Masala, Cobu, and NY Taiko Aiko Kai Kids’ Team
- Samurai Sword Soul’s new action-packed martial arts drama
- Cosplay fashion show returning for its fifth exciting year
- Dancejapan with Sachiyo Ito, presenting nihon buyo classical dance
- The Japanese Folk Dance Institute of NY’s beloved hanagasa odori (flower hat dance) procession
- Traditional tea ceremonies with Urasenke Chanoyu Center, and Japanese masters Soumi Shimizu and Sokyo Shimizu
- Ikebana flower arranging with expert Fumiko Allinder
- Vintage kimonos for sale from YokoDana Kimono
- Talk by BBG’s bonsai curator, Julian Velasco, with tour of the C.V. Starr Bonsai Museum
- Tour of the Japanese Hill-and-Pond Garden led by BBG Garden Guides
BBG’s Osborne Garden will feature manga and other contemporary Japanese culture, including the following:
- BBG’s Parasol Society Fashion Show, featuring Tokyo goth girls and guys, Victorian maidens, and sweet shepherdesses
- Drawing workshops, demonstrations, and talks with manga comic master Misako Rocks and ukiyo-e illustrator and video game creator Jed Henry
- The J-Lounge manga journal, where festival visitors can sketch their favorite Sakura Matsuri sightings
- Illusions from magician Rich Kameda, performing classic tricks with a Japanese twist
- The Awa Odori Parade, a festive procession by Home Island Project of Shikoku, Japan
- Composer Hitomi Himekawa and effervescent J-pop group the Rainbow Bubble Girls
- IchiP Dance Party, Brooklyn’s own anime dance trio.
Kids’ activities include the following:
- Hands-on workshops and games, including manga-inspired photo-op boards, origami, taiko drumming, rice shaker making, and manga drawing
- A children’s Suzuki recital and kids’ taiko performance to introduce the next generation of Japanese music masters
Where It Is
The Brooklyn Botanic Garden is in Prospect Heights, near to the Brooklyn Museum, the Brooklyn Central Library, Prospect Park, and Park Slope.
- Brooklyn Botanic Garden
- 900 Washington Avenue
- (718) 623-7200
- Trip Planning Information for Visiting the Brooklyn Botanic Garden